Built in 1940, the Shelborne, a forerunner of the Miami Modern (MiMO) movement, emanated from a creative flurry of activity between the Great Depression and World War II (during which it was appropriated for the war effort). Singled out in the July 1941 issue of record as “the most newsworthy” of the more than 40 Miami Beach hotels built over the previous year, the original Shelborne was designed by Igor Polevitzky and his partner Thomas Triplett Russell. More International style than Art Deco, the 14-story, steel-frame building was urbane and gracious, notable for its compact plan with generous ocean views, avant-garde driveway approach, and use of the latest materials: etched clear plastic for a curvy balustrade, and fluorescent tube lighting in ceiling coves. A respectful, eight-story addition by Morris Lapidus in 1958 lengthened the narrow 100-by-400-foot site by more than 200 feet, reoriented the entrance with a neon-lit, circular porte cochere, and supplemented the original 140-room beachfront tower with a ballroom and 103 guest rooms on Collins Avenue.
Lincoln Road Mall, Miami Beach
Year Built: 1940
Architects: Original design by Igor Polevitzky and Thomas Triplett Russell
Additions by Morris Lapidus in 1958 including the new circular porte cochere entrance